The Siam Society under Royal Patronage was founded in 1904 in cooperation with Thai and foreign scholars to promote knowledge of Thailand and its surrounding region.

The Society premises on Asoke Montri Road in Bangkok house a library that has a unique collection including manuscripts and rare books. The Kamthieng House, a precious example of northern Thai architecture, houses a folk museum. Study trips are made to historical sites, cultural events, and nature sites in all corners of Thailand and overseas. Lectures are organized several times a month on a wide range of topics. The Journal of the Siam Society and the Natural History Bulletin are published annually and distributed free to members. The Society also publishes scholarly books; stages performances of music, dance, and drama; hosts exhibitions and conferences; and is involved in projects of cultural preservation.

Today, the Siam Society has a membership drawn from a broad spectrum of Thais and foreigners, and continues to operate as a non-profit organization dedicated to its founding cause.


Visit us>>>

Join us>>>

Follow us on Facebook

What's New

:-- The Siam Society Under Royal Patronage is pleased to announce that its Kamthieng House Museum can be viewed online by people around the world thanks to a new partnership between the Google Cultural Institute and The Siam Society. Thanks to this new virtual exhibition, users will be able to see the best surviving traditional Lanna Thai House -- Kamthieng House Museum and its compound, a lovely video presentation “The Adventures of Tokto” – explaining how to build a Lanna house, “Hamyon” – a Wood Carving Collection, and an Example of The Siam Society Minute Books – UNESCO  Memory of the World, in just a few clicks at a picture.


:-- We are pleased to announce that Journal volume 104 has now been published and being sent out to members. You can see the contents here>>>.


:-- Forthcoming Events>>>


Thai Library Association under the Royal Patronage of HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn is pleased to present to the Library of the Siam Society under Royal Patronage “the Award for Outstanding Specialist Library, 2014” More>>>

Photos from workshop on Insect Management in Museums and Libraries>>>

Photos from Study the Ancient Thai Scripts>>>

New Books List>>>

Follow your library on Facebook


31 August 2016 : 7.00 p.m.
The Siam Society Under Royal Patronage and Faculty of Music, Silpakorn University with the participation of Fund for Classical Music Promotion Under the Patronage of HRH Princess Galyani Vadhana present "BUDDING ARTISTS" More>>>

A Tale of Youth and of Three Cities: Vienna; Bonn; Hamburg. Gustav Mahler (1860 – 1911): Piano Quartet in A minor. More>>>

Upcoming concerts>>>

Photos from concerts>>>

LECTURES (all lectures are in English unless otherwise stated)

25 August 2016 : 7.30 p.m.
The Medals within the Medal : an unexpected journey from France to Siam, the medal commemorating King Chulalongkorn of Siam’s first visit to Europe in 1897. A talk by Lupt Utama. In September 1897 a set of medals were struck at the Paris Mint to commemorate the first European tour of King Chulalongkorn of Siam. One of these 500 medals, a silver medal was given to The South Kensington Museum (now The Victoria and Albert Museum) in London as a gift from the Siamese Legation in 1898 to honour a visit by King Chulalongkorn in August 1897. More>>>

More lectures>>>



3 – 7 September 2016
A study of art and architecture of Mon Buddhist
Temples and sites of interest in Moulmein and the Tenasserim Region of Lower Myanmar
Leader: Khun Euayporn Kerdchouay,
Senior Consultant
Moulmein or Mawlamyine was formerly named Yammapura or Rammawaddy. The original city was established to the north of the present town of Moulmein. Today this city is Myanmar’s fourth largest city with a population of over 350,000 composed roughly of 75% Mon or some mixture of Mon, Karen, Myanmar, Indian, Chinese and other ethnicities. More>>>

21 – 30 September 2016
A Visit to the island of Ireland
Leader: Khun Somlak Charoenpot,
Chairperson of the Study Trip Committee
Ireland is an island in the North Atlantic just to the west of Britain. It features coastal mountains in the west and in the interior agricultural lowland, with numerous hills, lakes, and bogs. The Republic of Ireland (Eire, pronounced air-a) occupies about 83 percent of the island and the remaining 17 percent is  Northern Ireland in the northeast, which is part of United Kingdom. More>>>

More study trips>>>



Siamese Heritage Trust Seminar On

“Master plan and municipal law as a tool for preventing cultural heritage from inappropriate development”
Saturday, 25 June 2016 at 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. At the Siam Society Auditorium More>>>